Classic as it gets ~ and a restaurant-worthy dish you can crank out in your kitchen. Steak Frites with grass-fed flank steak and a lemon and thyme aioli.
- Select your cut:
- Flank Steak, Bavette, Hanger Steaks, Skirt Steaks, or Petite Tenders.
- (We went with a beautiful grass-fed flank steak for this dish.)
- 1/8th cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/8th cup of Worcestershire
- 1/8th cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1tsb of Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Few Cranks of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 Tsp of Lemon Zest
- 1 rinsed Idaho Potato per person
- Lemon Thyme Aioli:
- 1/4 c of Mayo
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves (grated or minced to a paste)
- Zest of 1 lemon, 1-2tsp of lemon juice
- 1-2 springs of fresh thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Essential to success with this dish: 30min wait.
Prep, and then get your potatoes soaking, your steak marinating, and your aioli chilling for 30 mins. After those 30 minutes, you are just 10 minutes away from absolute magic and a delicious plate of food.
Steak/Marinade: You can use your favorite steak here, but we recommend opting for lesser-known (but tender and delicious) cuts!
1) Whisk together and marinate your steak for 30 minutes at room temperature, flipping the steak halfway through.
2) In a hot pan over medium-high heat, sear the steak on both sides, flipping as necessary, until it hits your desired doneness.
3) Let rest while you finish your Frites!
Frites: Carefully cut your potatoes into your preferred fry size. Soak in an ice water bowl for 30 minutes (This helps draw out the starch and gives you crispier fries)
1) Dry your potatoes on paper towels thoroughly, and drop them into hot canola/vegetable/peanut oil/frying oil for 3-4 minutes – oil temp should be at 350F
2) Pull out your fries and let them rest on a sheet with paper towels for 5 minutes
3) Return your fries to the oil and let them fry again until golden brown, about another 3-4 minutes
4) Get your fries into a bowl and season with salt
Lemon Thyme Aioli: For dipping!
1) Whisk together and refrigerate for 30 minutes.